Cover photo for Lawrence Moore, W7NJU's Obituary
Lawrence Moore, W7NJU Profile Photo
1919 Lawrence 2015

Lawrence Moore, W7NJU

December 14, 1919 — November 25, 2015

Lawrence "Larry" H. Moore, W7NJU, passed away November 25, 2016 at the Idaho State Veterans Home in Boise, Idaho with daughter, Judy, and son-in-law, Tony Sabala, by his side. Larry had spent the last 6 years of his life there and knew that it was the best place for him. While living at the State Veterans Home, he made many new friends amongst the staff as well as the other residing Veterans. Larry loved to enter into and hold conversation with others and through this he had a talent for inspiring and gave encouragement to many others throughout his life and especially during the time he was at the Veterans home.

Larry was born December 14, 1919 in Estherville, Iowa to Elmer and Helen (Bowman) Moore. He spent his academic years in Estherville's schools, graduating from the Estherville High School in 1937 and going to complete one year of Junior College there also.

On January 12, 1942, Larry enlisted in the United States Army and was assigned to the U.S. Army Signal Corp as a Teletype Machine operator. He was first stationed in Ft. Snelling Minnesota, where he took training and became a Tower Operator. He was then shipped overseas to Northern-Africa, then on to Italy, in which he was involved in the Tunisian, Naples-Foggie and Roe-Arno Campaigns and was awarded 3 bronze stars for his service. A lapel button was issued to him and he was entitled to wear the European African Middle Eastern Theatre Campaign Ribbon, 5 Overseas Bars, and a Victory Ribbon, with no time lost under AW 107, all of which reflected in and for his war efforts. He was honorably discharged as a Sergeant in November 1945.

He had a passion for flying and due to this passion, a friend and he bought a small plane together, in which they engaged and enjoyed many hours of flying until his friend crashed the plane one day while landing. Well, the plane was a total loss, but one day while visiting his friend in the hospital, a gorgeous nurse walked in to tend to the friend. When she left the room, Larry told his friend, "I am going to marry that gal!" and of course his friend just laughed.

On December 2, 1945, Larry held true to his prediction and married that nurse, Virginia Mitchell, in Kasson, Minnesota, and were together for 61 years until Virginia's passing in February of 2012. As newly wedded, they returned to Estherville where Larry worked as a bookkeeper for the town grocery store and in the photography business, and Virginia worked for a doctor. On September 16, 1946, they welcomed their daughter, Judy, into the young family.

In December 1948, this young family made a trip to Jerome, Idaho to spend that Christmas with Virginia's parents. This trip ended up in permanent residency, as they lived in Jerome ever since all the while saying.... "it's been a long Christmas."

In his working years, Larry was employed at Lyson Studios as a photographer, Bird's Sporting Goods in sales, and Farmers Elevator and Simplot Soilbuilders as a bookkeeper. His health forced him into early retirement, but not to be kept down he began selling Watkins Products, which he enjoyed as he could visit more freely with his great customers. Along with his wife, Virginia, he helped Joe and Dorothy Rose in their photography business at weddings and other special photo occasions. He had a love for photography, from taking pictures to developing them in his own dark room in what he called the Dog House. His love for photography seemingly has been passed on to his daughter, Judy!

Larry's service time in the communications field led him to become a Ham Radio operator in April 1949. This became a hobby that he was very dedicated to. He helped parents reach their sons in Viet Nam over the airwaves when they could not be reached via phone line. He was known as "W7NJU" over the airwaves. He became the Net Central Station  for the Military Amateur Radio Service (MARS). His dedication to this program was to see that it was opened up 7 days a week and other Ham Operators would check in from the states of Colorado, Montana, California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. He completed this service every morning for 17 years and from the time he became a Ham Radio Operator he also helped fellow operators when in need as they traveled this area; he was the original Google Maps. Larry and Virginia attended many ham radio festivities, where many a wonderful friendships developed thru the ham radio. As Judy will say, "it was more than a hobby with him, it was a way of life." While at home Judy enjoyed listening to the conversations and later grandson, Brian, would do the same; listening instead of talking.

There came a great day in October 1970 when Larry and Virginia welcomed their grandson, Brian. Brian became an instant hit with the Moore grandparents, with Larry and Brian bonding instantly. Grandpa was overjoyed that it became routine for him to go to Judy and Tony's home every morning to help bathe and feed Brian. Through this ritual, grandpa and grandson became fast pals and gave each other great joy. Dad said that being able to see and help with Brian saved his life, as Larry was struggling with health issues during that time.

It could be said by my dad, Larry, that he has spent many, many wonderful hours/days fishing, hunting, and shooting with friends, camping at the Cottonwoods below Magic Dam, being able to take Brian ahead to secure a preferred camping spot in the Baker Creek area and packing a lunch for a day of arrowhead hunting in the South Hills. He also enjoyed block party potlucks or going to a family reunion. He spent many hours raising and showing "tumbler pigeons" which also earned him trophies. He had many adventures in life and enjoyed relating them to those who would listen.

Judy states that in 1999 her mother, and Larry's wife, Viriginia, had to be moved to the Creekside Care Center due to Alzheimer's, which was a very hard decision for him. But with the love he had for his wife he hardly missed a day of visiting her at least twice a day until his own health began to decline and he could no longer drive himself.

In 1979 it became known that if Larry had to spend the final years of his life in assisted living he wanted and preferred to fulfill them at the Idaho State Veterans Home in Boise, Idaho. So in August 2009 he was moved there and took up permanent residency. It was difficult at first, but when was visited there he stated it was the best place for him and he made many friends amongst the other veterans residents and staff that took care of him.

Larry was preceded in death by his parents, Elmer and Helen; one younger sister, Margaret; and his wife, Virginia. He is survived by his daughter, Judy and son-in-law, Tony Sabala; grandson, Brian and wife, Ranae Sabala; and great grandchildren, Colton, Kodie, and Emily Sabala and Zach and Chase Dulin.

A great Thank You is extended to all his many friends who were there when he needed a visit and someone to talk to and to the medical personnel who provided great care and compassion and each and every one for your constant support.

Larry's wishes were to be cremated and to hold no formal services. He has been laid to rest at the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery, Boise, Idaho.

At this time Larry would use his ham radio sign off saying... "W7NJU, over and out".

Memories and condolences may be shared with the family on Larry's memorial webpage at

To order memorial trees or send flowers to the family in memory of Lawrence Moore, W7NJU, please visit our flower store.

Service Schedule

Past Services

Funeral Service

Farnsworth Mortuary


Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.


Visits: 2

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the
Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Service map data © OpenStreetMap contributors

Send Flowers

Send Flowers

Plant A Tree

Plant A Tree